COBRA CHALLENGE DIV1A/DIV 2 ROC (Regional Open Circuit)
February 3-4, 2018
Cobra Fencing Club; Jersey City, NJ
Div IA: Born 2004 or before (or on the Junior National Rolling Points List), any rating
Div 2 (C & Under): Born 2004 or before, AND with C, D, E, or U rating
REFEREES: If interested in refereeing, e-mail Lisa Campi-Sapery at email@example.com.
QUESTIONS ??: Read the "More Info" section before e-mailing with questions.
COMMUNICATIONS: Important tournament information will be communicated through the FRED e-mail system. Take time to verify that your FRED profile contains an up-to-date e-mail address (Log in and check MyFRED).
Live tournament seeding and results (during competition): http://www.cobrafencing.com/results
REGIONAL OPEN CIRCUIT
The USA Fencing Athlete Handbook (http://www.usafencing.org/athlete-handbook) contains detailed information on qualifying pathways and should be consulted as the appropriate reference document.
ROC tournaments are open to current USA Fencing competitive members eligible to fence in Open competitions and to foreign fencers with current FIE licenses. However, foreign fencers are not eligible to compete in USA Fencing National Championship events. In the event that a foreign fencer finishes within the qualifying group, the foreign fencer will be skipped and only the highest-finishing eligible domestic fencers will qualify.
ROC competitions will award points to the top 40% of the competitive field. Only the best 3 results, in each respective category, count towards the point total. These points may qualify D1A, DV2, and Veteran ROC fencers to the USA Fencing National Championships in D1A, DV2, DV3, and Veteran. The ROC point standings are not used for seeding National level tournaments. ROC events award regional ranking points.
REGISTRATION AND EVENT FEES
REGULAR entry/payment period (until January 21, 2018 ( *extended to January 24)): $30 registration fee plus $50/event (registration fee is nonrefundable)
LATE entry/payment period (Jan 22-Jan 26 (extended - now Jan 25 at 7 am to Jan 27)): $60 registration fee plus $100/event
On-line registration period closes January 26 ( extended - closes Jan 27).
Walk-ins accepted Jan 28-Feb 4: $90 registration fee plus $150/event. Register and pay at the door.
Registration and on-line payment period ends January 26 (extended to January 27), with fees as noted above. Event close of check-in times are subject to change. Pre-registered fencers listed as "Incomplete" may present at the door to compete but will be charged late fee plus an additional $50.
Tournament fees must be PAID for entry to be considered complete. Payment is made via AskFRED (***If you prefer to make alternate payment arrangements you MUST e-mail the organizer prior to January 21, 2018, for payment instructions).
Registration fee is nonrefundable.
Event fee refunded if notified before Jan 26.
NO refunds if notified Jan 27-Feb 4 - NO exceptions
To submit refund request: Notify Steve Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a mailing address. Refunds will be processed after conclusion of tournament.
On tournament day, fencers who fail to check-in at the registration desk before the posted close of check-in time for their event will be withdrawn from the competition, and no there will be no refund of entry fees.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
CLOSE OF CHECK-IN TIMES:
ALL TIMES ARE TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Fencers not checked in at posted close of check-in time will not be permitted to fence and no refund of fees given. Fencers must check-in each day they compete. We strongly encourage you arrive at the venue at least 1 hour before close of your event registration.
Times subject to change
4:00 Div2 WS (moved to Saturday 11:30)
4:00 Div2 MS (moved to Sunday 3:30)
Times subject to change
8:00 Div1A MF
8:00 Div2 WE
11:30 Div 2 WS
1:00 Div1A WF
1:00 Div2 ME
4:00 Div1A MS
Times subject to change
8:00 Div1A ME
11:30 Div2 MF
12:00 Div2 WF (new time)
1:00 Div1A WE (new time)
4:00 Div1A WS (new time)
4:00 Div 2 MS (new time)
LIABILITY WAIVER - Upon entering this tournament you agree to abide by the current rules of USA Fencing and other applicable rules. You acknowledge you are entering this tournament at your own risk and release the USA Fencing and its sponsors, New Jersey Division of USA Fencing, Cobra Fencing Club, Escrime Management, volunteers, tournament staff, and referees from any liability. With entry you give consent to Cobra Fencing Club to obtain medical care from any licensed physician, EMS personnel, hospital or clinic for any injury or illness that may arise during activities associated with this tournament. Photography, filming, recording, or any other form of media of the athlete during the tournament can be used by the tournament organizers and USA Fencing. Those wishing to opt out of media coverage must inform the Bout Committee. Cobra Fencing Club is not responsible for any lost or stolen property.
• Entry is determined by 2017-18 USA Fencing birth year requirements and rating restrictions:
Div I-A (any rating): Born 2004 or before, or on the Junior National Rolling Points List
Div 2 Born 2004 or before and with U,E,D,or C rating
• USFA rules apply http://www.usafencing.org/usa-fencing-rule-book
• Full USFA regulation uniform is required. Electric bib required in foil events.
• Must have at least two working weapons and two body cords.
• The USFA Athlete Handbook (http://www.usafencing.org/athlete-handbook) contains detailed information on ROC qualifying pathways and should be consulted as the appropriate reference document.
• Results posted at the venue and on FRED are not official; results must be verified by the national office for final determination of qualification.
• Current USA Fencing competitive membership, FIE, or other foreign federation membership, required. Must present membership card (or proof of membership payment) at check-in. To join/renew USA Fencing membership or o print your membership card visit: visit: http://www.usafencing.org/membership.
Foreign fencers must obtain a USA Fencing membership as a "Foreign Fencer" to be allowed to compete. This membership is FREE. Go to https://member.usafencing.org and sign up, choosing "Foreign Fencer" as the membership type.
If no proof of membership you must complete and pay for USA Fencing membership. You may join/renew at the door (parent signature required if under 18).
TOURNAMENT DAY CHECK-IN
• Venue opens at 7 a.m.
• Fencers are required to check in each day they compete
• Fencers are required to have equipment checked (only required once if fencing more than one day)
• Present to registration desk with fencing federation membership card (USA Fencing, FIE, or foreign federation).
629 Grove Street, 4th Floor
Jersey, City NJ
FREE Parking - Note Important Parking Information below
NEAREST AIRPORT: Newark Liberty International (12 miles away)
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: From Manhattan by train: PATH train from Manhattan to Hoboken. The walk would be about 20 minutes. Taxis available in Hoboken (appx 4 minute ride to Cobra). Have the cab take Observer Highway West and turn left on Grove St. The Lackawanna Warehouse is on the right-hand side between 18th and 16th St.
IMPORTANT PARKING INFORMATION:
To avoid possibility of your car being TOWED, please follow these parking instructions:
There are 3 specified parking locations.*
1. The parking lot directly across the street. Do not block anyone from ability to get to the back part of the lot, and do not blocking anyone from leaving.
2. You can park nose in to the cyclone fence between Grove St. and Marin Blvd on 16th Street.
3. If the above spaces are full, drop your fencer off at the building entrance so that they can go up and check themselves in. Proceed north on Grove Street to the light at 18th Street turn left and go one long block to Jersey Ave. Turn left at the light and make an immediate left into the parking lot directly across the street from the Cast Iron Lofts. You must then walk back to the entrance at 629 Grove Street.
*IMPORTANT NOTE- the small parking lot at the southwest corner of Grove and 18th St is no longer available for Cobra Events. Do not park in this lot even if there are empty spaces.
Arrive early to allow time for equipment check. Equipment will be inspected and marked (mask, lame (as appropriate), sabre cuffs, head cords, and body cords). Fencers only need to have their equipment passed once for the duration of the ROC. Names NOT required on uniforms.
Blue Gauntlet Fencing Gear will be on-site for equipment sales. Repairs available at armory (for fee).
Food and beverage concessions will be available.
Nearby Jersey City Hotels:
Doubletree Hotel by Hilton
455 Washington Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07310
2 Exchange Place
Westin Jersey City Newport
479 Washington Blvd
Courtyard Jersey City Newport
540 Washington Boulevard